Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Add "All Pages"
The Common Principles for 21st Century Schools
-as envisioned by Liz B. Davis, based on
Common Principles for the Coalition of Essential Schools
Check out this
for more information.
Community is Essential
- The school should bring all learners together into a supportive community that nurtures both the individual and the group. The community should permeate all possible spaces, in the classroom, in the home and Online.
- The school should actively encourage learners to think critically, continually asking the question, "Why do we teach what we teach?"
- The school should actively encourage learners to risk failure in the pursuit of understanding.
- The school should surround the learner with ideas and information, encouraging the learner to pursue a wide variety of paths to knowledge, and supporting the personal growth for all who inhabit the community.
- The school should actively encourage and pursue the input of those both inside and outside the community with a diversity of opinions and experiences. The school should consistently check that it is inclusive and supportive of learners from diverse backgrounds.
Nurture all learners
- The school should provide opportunities and encouragement for all members of the community including teachers, students and parents to learn and grow.
- The school should actively explore, pursue and assess new ideas and technologies, while always keeping the learner at the heart of the pursuit.
Good schools graduate good people
- The school should actively and explicitly teach learners to think beyond themselves, encouraging students to value kindness and generosity.
Break down the walls
- The school should provide access and opportunities for learners to reach outside the walls of the school to the neighboring, national and global community.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"